Nick Heidfeld will seek to avenge his recent axing from Lotus Renault GP's driver line-up in the London High Court.
Replaced with Bruno Senna for this weekend's Belgian Grand Prix, Heidfeld appeared at the Spa circuit on Thursday insisting that he has a legally binding contract to race with the team for the remainder of the season.
With the court hearing scheduled for after September 11's Italian Grand Prix, Heidfeld's legal team has stated that it hopes the 34-year-old German will return at the following event in Singapore.
“I was surprised by the team's intention to replace me and regret that things have developed this way,” said Heidfeld in a statement.
“I just wanted to be in the cockpit to get the best result for the team and me. I still have a clear contract and I want to drive.”
Heidfeld currently sits eighth in the 2011 World Drivers' Championship – two points ahead of team-mate Vitaly Petrov.
Senna meanwhile is preparing for his first Grand Prix since last year's season finale in Abu Dhabi, where he drove for Hispania.
“Right now, I'm confirmed for this race and the next race but, for some legal issues still to be resolved, they can't confirm the rest of the year or not,” said Senna in Belgium.
“The intentions are that I do it but it still cannot be confirmed.”
See below for Speedcafe.com's Belgian Grand Prix Race Guide