It marked the first time since his 2012 debut that the New Zealander hadn't been on the grid.
Click here to have your say on the state of Australian motorsport and go into the draw to win a Kincrome Tool Armour Workshop valued at $11,999.
Now, as international border restrictions ease and a favourable calendar looms, McLaughlin is optimistic he'll be able to make a grand return to Supercars later this year.
However, the 28-year-old concedes his IndyCar Series programme will always take priority.
“I mean, so far, so good,” said McLaughlin.
“It seems we can get over there straight after my season. The dates line up and everything works out good.
“So pending everything is open in my calendar in terms of testing, all that sort of stuff, which obviously comes first here, like I've said all the time, I'm always going to put [IndyCar first] here.
“But at the end of the day, if I can do it, I will do it, and I've got a chance to do it with DJR. I'll be there if I can and at the moment it's looking really, really good.”
Exactly who will be part of Dick Johnson Racing's co-driver line-up remains to be seen.
Earlier this week, the elder Davison brother tested with the team at Queensland Raceway.
The team could find itself with a surplus of drivers with Tony D'Alberto having been a regular fixture at the team since 2016.
McLaughlin's second IndyCar Series season is slated to conclude at Laguna Seca on September 11 (local time)
The Bathurst 1000 takes place just under one month later on October 9.