As previously reported on Speedcafe.com, the world famous 6.2km circuit is undergoing $6million in safety and infrastructure upgrades with the Bathurst Regional Council supported by the Federal Government's Regional Development Fund.
“Bathurst is an iconic event and over the course of its history the track has undergone a number of significant changes designed to improve safety for drivers, spectators and officials,” CAMS chief executive Eugene Arocca said.
Click here to have your say on the state of Australian motorsport and go into the draw to win a Kincrome Tool Armour Workshop valued at $11,999.
Upgrade work including an FIA approved debris fence and a concrete first-line-of-defence barrier, a new lift on the pedestrian bridge across the pit straight and upgrades to the paddock campground through sealed roads started in July.
Also earmarked is the resurfacing of the entire length of the circuit at a cost of $2million which will involve 6000 tons of hot mix that will begin after the Supercheap Auto 1000 from October 10-13.
“These latest changes will keep Bathurst at the forefront of track safety in Australia and ensure that the event continues to thrive long into the future,” Arocca said.
“The FIA standard is the gold standard of track safety globally and these improvements will help maintain Bathurst's standing as a world class venue.”
Since 2004 $27million has been spent in major work at the mountain track.
*A total of 850m of concrete barrier fencing has been installed at Pit Straight and The Chase
*570m of debris fencing erected on Pit Straight
*670m of spectator fencing erected on Pit Straight