• Login
  • Register
Speedcafe.com
  • HOME
  • NEWS
  • PODS
  • PHOTOS
  • RESULTS
  • NETWORK 100
No Result
View All Result
  • SURVEY
  • SUPERCARS
  • F1
  • MOTOGP
  • NASCAR
  • INDYCAR
  • GT & ENDURANCE
  • KARTING
  • RALLY
  • HOME
  • NEWS
  • PODS
  • PHOTOS
  • RESULTS
  • NETWORK 100
No Result
View All Result
  • Feed
  • Calendar
  • Results
  • Photos
  • Podcasts
  • Shop
Speedcafe.com
  • Bathurst 12 Hour
  • Supercars
  • F1
  • NASCAR
  • IndyCar
  • GT & Endurance
  • Karting
  • Bikes
  • Rally
Home F1

Alonso approved to run at Abu Dhabi young drivers test

James Pavey
James Pavey
3 Dec 2020
James Pavey
//
3 Dec 2020
// F1
A A
0
Alonso approved to run at Abu Dhabi young drivers test

Fernando Alonso drives the 2018 Renault at Bahrain last month

Fernando Alonso will step up preparation for his Formula 1 return after the FIA approved him to run at the post-season test at Abu Dhabi slated for young drivers.

The test, which will be held on the Tuesday after the 2020 season finale, was initially set to run with 18-inch tyres.

However, with new regulation changes and new tyres postponed until 2022, F1 set it aside for young drivers who had made two or fewer grand prix starts, and must be in possession of an International A Licence.

Several drivers have since been locked in for the test, including Robert Shwartzman and Antonio Fuoco (Ferrari), Jack Aitken and Roy Nissany (Williams), and Yuki Tsunoda (AlphaTauri).

Due to cost containment ambitions amid the coronavirus pandemic, some teams wanted to cancel the test, but later agreed to allow rookie running.

Advertisements

However, 311-race start veteran Alonso will be able to run at the Abu Dhabi test, a move which some teams believe will hand Renault a competitive advantage.

Take the Meguiar’s Bathurst 12 Hour survey and win! Click here to have your say.

Alonso was announced to replace the McLaren-bound Daniel Ricciardo in July. Following the announcement, Renault has continued to lobby to have the Spaniard run at the post-season test because he has been out of F1 for two years.

Overnight reports also suggest the FIA has now opened up the Abu Dhabi test to other drivers, with the likes of Robert Kubica (Alfa Romeo) and Sebastien Buemi (Red Bull) now expected to run.

Renault Managing Director Cyril Abiteboul recently said he asked his rival teams for an exemption, but Racing Point – which is also bringing in a new driver in Sebastian Vettel for 2021 – vetoed the request.

“We noticed a collaborative spirit, and we believed it was possible,” Abiteboul told La Gazzetta dello Sport.

“Then one team got in the way… it was Racing Point. And so we won’t have Fernando on the track.”

Alonso has tried to get running with Renault as much as possible, and was on site with the team at the recent race in Imola following a factory visit at Enstone.

The 39-year-old has only completed a 100-kilometre filming day at Barcelona in the 2020 car in October, and testing at Bahrain and Abu Dhabi in Renault’s 2018 car.

Notably, Alonso admitted after the Barcelona running that he wasn’t up to speed, but has demonstrated his keenness to return by demanding Renault to begin wind tunnel testing its 2022 car as soon as possible.

However, despite his experience, Alonso previously admitted the lack of testing is working against him.

“The limited testing for next year is going to be a challenge for everyone but a little bit more for me because I’m out of the car two years, and I think it is going to be only one day and a half with winter testing,” the two-time world champion said.

“You cannot prepare for a world championship in one day and a half.

“I will try to create on the simulator some things that we need to save time on the real car for fine-tuning the set-up.

“But it is a new team, new steering wheel controls, new procedures, new engineers, a lot of new things that it will require a little bit of time.

“I will try to make it as short as possible.”

Alonso driving the 2020 Renault at a Barcelona filming day


Speedcafe Network 100 - logo representing the directory of leading suppliers to the motorsport industry in Australia

List your business today!

Simplex Elevators logo: Blue geometric shapes with "SIMPLEX ELEVATORS" in bold black text below.

Simplex Elevators

General Business Services

Founded in 1976, Simplex Elevators is one of Australia’s most trusted independent elevator companies, providing premium lift solutions backed by decades of technical expertise and industry leadership. 100% Australian-owned and operated, we pride ourselves on...

Founded in 1976, Simplex Elevators is one of Australia’s most trusted independent elevator companies, providing premium lift solutions backed by decades of technical expertise and...

Discussion about this post

[postcode_search_form]

Latest from Torquecafe

Apple iPhone’s designer is ‘anxious’ about his first car

19 February 2026

Hyundai: Petrol-powered hero cars worth millions in fines

19 February 2026

Latest Podcasts

PODCAST: Adelaide’s major MotoGP coup + Supercars fallout

19 February 2026

PODCAST: Bathurst, Bahrain and bumper Sydney Supercars preview

17 February 2026

Related Articles

George Russell in a Mercedes F1 car at the Bahrain International Circuit

Vote to decide mid-season F1 engine rule change

F1
11 hours ago
F1
0
Oscar Piastri during F1 pre-season testing at Bahrain in the MCL40.

Russell leads Piastri as F1 testing at Bahrain resumes

F1
19 hours ago
F1
0
ADVERTISEMENT

Platinum Partners

Latest & Trending News

The #7 Blanchard Racing Team Ford Mustang driven by James Golding.

Golding’s buzzer beater tops Sydney Supercars test

Supercars
19 February 2026
Supercars
0
Carlos Ezpeleta and Peter Malinauskas. Image: Supplied

PODCAST: Adelaide’s major MotoGP coup + Supercars fallout

Supercars
19 February 2026
Supercars
0

PHOTOS: Supercars Sydney pre-season test

Photo Galleries
19 February 2026
Photo Galleries
0
A kangaroo crossed the track with an hour to go in Supercars testing at Sydney Motorsport Park.

Kangaroo track invasion stops Sydney Supercars test

Supercars
19 February 2026
Supercars
0
Ralf Aron (left) with Craft-Bamboo Racing teammates Maximillian Gotz and Lucas Auer during a signing session,

Injured Bathurst 12 Hour driver discharged from hospital

Bathurst 12 Hour
19 February 2026
Bathurst 12 Hour
0
Tommy Bridewell will compete for Australian-owned Superbike Advocates Racing in WorldSBK. Image: Supplied

Australian team confirms historic World Superbike commitment

Bikes
19 February 2026
Bikes
0

Supercheap Auto

Pirtek Poll

POLL: The best Supercars livery of 2026

Vote View Results Past polls
Pirtek Poll
View past polls
2025 Supercars Championship WINS POLES PTS
1
Chaz Mostert
Mobil 1 Optus Racing
25 4 1 5306
2
Will Brown
Red Bull Ampol Racing
1 2 1 5244
3
Broc Feeney
Red Bull Ampol Racing
88 14 19 5240
4
Kai Allen
Penrite Racing
26 0 0 5233
5
Matthew Payne
Penrite Racing
19 5 1 4461
2025 Formula 1 Championship WINS POLES PTS
1
Lando Norris (GBR)
McLaren
4 7 7 423
2
Max Verstappen (NED)
Red Bull
1 7 7 421
3
Oscar Piastri (AUS)
McLaren
81 7 6 410
4
George Russell (GBR)
Mercedes
63 2 2 319
5
Charles Leclerc (MON)
Ferrari
16 0 1 242
ADVERTISEMENT
[instagram-feed feed=2]
Support the partners that support Speedcafe
Truck Assist R & J Batteries Pirtek Mobil Super Supercheap Auto Michelin Meguiars coates KTM FORD ACDelco parcelprotect become a partner
AASA PPQ Authentic Collectables sportsnetholidays nuevasolutions bathurst
Green and white "speedcafe." logo on a black background, conveying a racing theme.
Speedcafe.com has been established to provide a daily motorsport news service to the industry and fans in Australia and internationally.
Follow Us

Categories

SUPERCARS

F1

NASCAR

INDYCAR

GT

MOTOGP

PHOTOS

TV

PODS

Platinum Partners

TRUCK ASSIST
R&J BATTERIES
PIRTEK
MOBIL1
SUPERCHEAP AUTO

PARCEL PROTECT

MICHELIN
MEGUIARS

COATES
FORD

ACDELCO

Newsletter

Subscribe to our daily newsletter, the best way to get your news first, fast and free!

Thank you!

You have successfully joined our subscriber list.

Your daily racing fix - Newsletter

Subscribe to our daily and breaking newsletter for all the latest news delivered direct to your box

SUBSCRIBE
Follow Us

Categories

SUPERCARS

F1

NASCAR

INDYCAR

GT

MOTOGP

PHOTOS

TV

PODS

Platinum Partners

TRUCK ASSIST
R&J BATTERIES
PIRTEK
MOBIL1
SUPERCHEAP AUTO

PARCEL PROTECT

MICHELIN
MEGUIARS

COATES
FORD

XPEL

ACDELCO

Green and white "speedcafe." logo on a black background, conveying a racing theme.

Copyright © 2026 Speedcafe.com. This site is protected by reCAPTCHA. The Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.

Our Team /  Advertise with us / Comments Policy / Privacy Policy /

No Result
View All Result
  • Bathurst 12 Hour
  • News
  • Calendar
  • Results
  • Event guides
  • Podcasts
  • Shop
  • Photos
  • Videos
  • Contact Us
  • Advertise
  • Network 100

Copyright © 2025 Speedcafe.com This site is protected by reCAPTCHA. The Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.

Welcome Back!

Login to your account below

Forgotten Password? Sign Up

Create New Account!

Fill the forms below to register

All fields are required. Log In

Retrieve your password

Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

Log In

Add New Playlist

No Result
View All Result
  • Bathurst 12 Hour
  • News
  • Calendar
  • Results
  • Event guides
  • Podcasts
  • Shop
  • Photos
  • Videos
  • Contact Us
  • Advertise
  • Network 100

Copyright © 2025 Speedcafe.com This site is protected by reCAPTCHA. The Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.

Sign Up For Our Newsletter

Subscribe to our mailing list to receives daily updates direct to your inbox!

[mailpoet_form id=”28″]