• Login
  • Register
Speedcafe.com
  • HOME
  • NEWS
  • PODS
  • PHOTOS
  • RESULTS
  • NETWORK 100
No Result
View All Result
  • BATHURST 12 HOUR
  • SUPERCARS
  • F1
  • MOTOGP
  • NASCAR
  • INDYCAR
  • GT & ENDURANCE
  • KARTING
  • RALLY
  • HOME
  • NEWS
  • PODS
  • PHOTOS
  • RESULTS
  • NETWORK 100
No Result
View All Result
  • Feed
  • Calendar
  • Results
  • Photos
  • Podcasts
  • Shop
Speedcafe.com
  • Bathurst 12 Hour
  • Supercars
  • F1
  • NASCAR
  • IndyCar
  • GT & Endurance
  • Karting
  • Bikes
  • Rally
Home Supercars

Queensland border rules put Winton in doubt

Mat Coch
Mat Coch
30 Jun 2020
Mat Coch
//
30 Jun 2020
// Supercars, Featured
A A
0
Queensland border rules put Winton in doubt

Doubts have been raised over Winton SuperSprint

Queensland’s border will remain closed to Victorians amid strengthened restrictions announced by Premier Annastacia Palaszczuk which have placed next month’s Winton SuperSprint in doubt.

The announcement comes as the state moves to Stage 3 restrictions, allowing for increased numbers at social gatherings.

Greater number of fans will also be allowed at sporting events, though social distancing must still be adhered to between family groups.

“Anyone who has travelled from Victoria, including Queenslanders, will be prevented from entering or will have to quarantine at a hotel at their own expense for two weeks,” Palaszczuk affirmed.

Those from states other than Victoria will be able to apply for a border pass, with entering Queensland having to complete a border declaration stating whether they’ve travelled to Victoria in the past 14 days.

Advertisements

The new measures will be introduced from midnight on Friday (July 3), casting fresh doubt over the Truck Assist Winton SuperSprint (July 18-19) and the ability for Queensland-based teams to return home following the event.

Take the Meguiar’s Bathurst 12 Hour survey and win! Click here to have your say.

Similarly, South Australia has confirmed that it will not open its border with Victoria on July 20 while the New South Wales Premier has told Victorians living in hotspots not to travel.

Victoria has seen a second wave of COVID-19 infections, the state reporting 75 new infections on June 29 – the highest number of new infections on a single day since March 31.

That development comes as the World Health Organisation (WHO) warns the pandemic is far from over.

“We all want this to be over. We all want to get on with our lives. But the hard reality is that this is not even close to being over,” said Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus, Director General of the WHO.

“Although many countries have made some progress globally, the pandemic is actually speeding up.”

In response to Victoria’s current plight, South Australian Premier, Steven Marshall, has said the state will scrap the planned opening of its border on July 20.

“We are increasingly concerned about the outbreaks that are occurring in Victoria so we are not in a position to remove our border,” he said.

“Previously we had advised that this would happen on the 20th of July and I’m now advised that the transition committee’s advice is that we should scrap that date.”

The other four states/territories which maintained border closures have already been allowed entry, with NSW and Australian Capital Territory set to be permitted entry from July 20.

Supercars earlier this month announced it will not visit South Australia again this year, swapping The Bend’s planned September event to Sandown.

The Shannons Motorsport Australia Championships are not slated to visit South Australia until October, however Sandown is due to host Round 2 on September 12-13.

Located in Springvale, to the south east of the Melbourne CBD, Sandown International Motor Raceway falls within the City of Greater Dandenong, an area which has had eight cases in the last 30 days.

Springvale is not listed among the state’s hotspot suburbs.

According to Victoria’s Health and Human Services, a hospot is defined as having at least five non-overseas acquired cases since June 1, 2020.

However, Queensland’s Chief Health Officer has identified the all Greater Melbourne government areas as hotspots, meaning Queensland residents would have to quarantine upon returning home.

Last week a number of teams undertook COVID-19 testing ahead of personnel travelling to Sydney as the Supercars season restarted.

NSW Premier, Gladys Berejiklian, has today stated anyone from one of Victoria’s hotspots should not travel though the border between the two states, which is set to remain open.

Her comments come as organisers of professional sports navigate the pandemic, with the Australian Football League having to revise its fixtures for this weekend’s round due to bolstered Queensland restrictions.

“All the codes have been applying the strict Covid-safe plans which is what they should be doing, we don’t mind you playing in this state but unfortunately Victorians aren’t welcome to purchase tickets given the rate of community transmission down there,” Berejiklian said.

“We feel that the warnings we have put out, the directions we have put out, the fact that we have proactively worked with major event organisers to prevent Victorians from purchasing tickets, the messages we have sent to local residents about not welcoming friends and family from those hotspots or broader Melbourne at this time.

“They might sound like tough things to ask people to do but that’s what will keep us safe in New South Wales.”

The Northern Territory is set to open its borders from July 17, though last week confirmed that anyone travelling from a hotspot would have to quarantine at their own expense.

Queensland residents have also been told that they too will need to quarantine upon return to the state should they visit a hotspot.

Queensland Health subsequently clarified to Speedcafe.com that landing at Melbourne’s Tullamarine airport, located within the Hume Local Government Area, and transiting directly to Winton would not be considered visiting a hotspot.

Despite the fluidity of the situation locally, internationally Australia has been added to a list of countries from which the European Union will allow visitors as it looks to ramp up tourism.

Canada, China, and Thailand were also granted access, though the United States was not on the list.

It comes despite the Federal Government currently banning overseas travel, with Qantas CEO Alan Joyce suggesting normal international service is unlikely to resume until July 2021.

Speedcafe.com has approached Supercars for comment.



Speedcafe Network 100 - logo representing the directory of leading suppliers to the motorsport industry in Australia

List your business today!

Authentic Collectables logo - threes A that make the shape of a white crown on black background

Authentic Collectables

Retail & Merchandise

Authentic Collectables is Australia’s premium limited edition collectable model car and products brand. Authentic Collectables is connected to the majority of the Repco Supercars teams and produces models of various sizes from rare, one-off liveries...

Authentic Collectables is Australia’s premium limited edition collectable model car and products brand. Authentic Collectables is connected to the majority of the Repco Supercars teams...

Discussion about this post

[postcode_search_form]

Latest from Torquecafe

Car giant to cut costs by 20 per cent in less than three years – report

18 February 2026

Mini stages big Bathurst meeting

17 February 2026

Latest Podcasts

PODCAST: Bathurst, Bahrain and bumper Sydney Supercars preview

17 February 2026

PODCAST: Bathurst 12 Hour daily – Sunday

15 February 2026

Related Articles

Andre Heimgartner in his Toyota Supra V8 Supercar at Sydney Motorsport Park

LIVE: Supercars pre-season test at Sydney Motorsport Park

Supercars
59 minutes ago
Supercars
0
Bayley Hall will join Eggleston motorsport for the 2026 Super2 season.

Craig Lowndes’ new co-driver confirms Super2 campaign

Super2
1 hour ago
Super2
0
ADVERTISEMENT

Platinum Partners

Latest & Trending News

Red Bull chief designer (second-from-left) with Red Bull driver Max Verstappen (second-from-right).

Red Bull loses F1 design chief with ‘immediate effect’

F1
18 February 2026
F1
0
Andre Heimgartner in his Toyota Supra V8 Supercar at Sydney Motorsport Park

LIVE: Supercars pre-season test at Sydney Motorsport Park

Supercars
18 February 2026
Supercars
0
Bayley Hall will join Eggleston motorsport for the 2026 Super2 season.

Craig Lowndes’ new co-driver confirms Super2 campaign

Super2
18 February 2026
Super2
0

PHOTOS: Combined Sedans at the Bathurst 12 Hour

Photo Galleries
18 February 2026
Photo Galleries
0

What you need to know about Supercars Sydney test

Supercars
18 February 2026
Supercars
0
Sydney Motorsport Park

‘Waste of time’: Drivers frustrated by Sydney track change

Supercars
18 February 2026
Supercars
0

Supercheap Auto

Pirtek Poll

POLL: The best Supercars livery of 2026

Vote View Results Past polls
Pirtek Poll
View past polls
2025 Supercars Championship WINS POLES PTS
1
Chaz Mostert
Mobil 1 Optus Racing
25 4 1 5306
2
Will Brown
Red Bull Ampol Racing
1 2 1 5244
3
Broc Feeney
Red Bull Ampol Racing
88 14 19 5240
4
Kai Allen
Penrite Racing
26 0 0 5233
5
Matthew Payne
Penrite Racing
19 5 1 4461
2025 Formula 1 Championship WINS POLES PTS
1
Lando Norris (GBR)
McLaren
4 7 7 423
2
Max Verstappen (NED)
Red Bull
1 7 7 421
3
Oscar Piastri (AUS)
McLaren
81 7 6 410
4
George Russell (GBR)
Mercedes
63 2 2 319
5
Charles Leclerc (MON)
Ferrari
16 0 1 242
ADVERTISEMENT
[instagram-feed feed=2]
Support the partners that support Speedcafe
Truck Assist R & J Batteries Pirtek Mobil Super Supercheap Auto Michelin Meguiars coates KTM FORD ACDelco parcelprotect become a partner
AASA PPQ Authentic Collectables sportsnetholidays nuevasolutions bathurst
Green and white "speedcafe." logo on a black background, conveying a racing theme.
Speedcafe.com has been established to provide a daily motorsport news service to the industry and fans in Australia and internationally.
Follow Us

Categories

SUPERCARS

F1

NASCAR

INDYCAR

GT

MOTOGP

PHOTOS

TV

PODS

Platinum Partners

TRUCK ASSIST
R&J BATTERIES
PIRTEK
MOBIL1
SUPERCHEAP AUTO

PARCEL PROTECT

MICHELIN
MEGUIARS

COATES
FORD

ACDELCO

Newsletter

Subscribe to our daily newsletter, the best way to get your news first, fast and free!

Thank you!

You have successfully joined our subscriber list.

Your daily racing fix - Newsletter

Subscribe to our daily and breaking newsletter for all the latest news delivered direct to your box

SUBSCRIBE
Follow Us

Categories

SUPERCARS

F1

NASCAR

INDYCAR

GT

MOTOGP

PHOTOS

TV

PODS

Platinum Partners

TRUCK ASSIST
R&J BATTERIES
PIRTEK
MOBIL1
SUPERCHEAP AUTO

PARCEL PROTECT

MICHELIN
MEGUIARS

COATES
FORD

XPEL

ACDELCO

Green and white "speedcafe." logo on a black background, conveying a racing theme.

Copyright © 2026 Speedcafe.com. This site is protected by reCAPTCHA. The Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.

Our Team /  Advertise with us / Comments Policy / Privacy Policy /

No Result
View All Result
  • Bathurst 12 Hour
  • News
  • Calendar
  • Results
  • Event guides
  • Podcasts
  • Shop
  • Photos
  • Videos
  • Contact Us
  • Advertise
  • Network 100

Copyright © 2025 Speedcafe.com This site is protected by reCAPTCHA. The Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.

Welcome Back!

Login to your account below

Forgotten Password? Sign Up

Create New Account!

Fill the forms below to register

All fields are required. Log In

Retrieve your password

Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

Log In

Add New Playlist

No Result
View All Result
  • Bathurst 12 Hour
  • News
  • Calendar
  • Results
  • Event guides
  • Podcasts
  • Shop
  • Photos
  • Videos
  • Contact Us
  • Advertise
  • Network 100

Copyright © 2025 Speedcafe.com This site is protected by reCAPTCHA. The Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.

Sign Up For Our Newsletter

Subscribe to our mailing list to receives daily updates direct to your inbox!

[mailpoet_form id=”28″]